The FC’s Accreditation, Core Curriculum and Program Requirements were updated September 2019. To access the document, please click here.
The guidelines in the attached document will:
- Provide a mechanism for establishing and accrediting fellowships in surgery.
- Provide a mechanism to ensure that FC accredited surgery fellowship programs attain and maintain a high level of quality.
- Provide mechanisms to ensure that surgery fellowships do not interfere with residency training in general surgery and/or any other ACGME approved/ABMS- or RCPSC- recognized surgical training program.
- Provide a central directory of approved surgery fellowships to which prospective fellows can apply.
- Provide a central directory of data on approved surgery fellowships to assist general surgery residents in choosing the best fellowship for themselves.
- Provide a diverse range of fellowship opportunities within the scope of general surgery.
- Provide a mechanism for matching in the various fellowships governed by the FC.